March is National Nutrition Month, which is a time to focus on eating right and healthy every day. This event was created to encourage personalized healthy eating styles and to help educate the public on nutrition education.
This year marks the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month. It is important that we eat healthy every day by making informed and healthy decisions regarding our food choices. Not only should we make healthy choices when eating, but we should also incorporate physical activity into our daily lives. By eating healthy, it does not mean you have to give up your favorite foods. It just means you need to be smart about how much you are consuming of certain foods, while making sure you are also getting plenty of fruits and vegetables.
At www.eatright.org/nnm, they provide numerous tips and tools for eating healthy as well as interactive quizzes and games to test your nutrition knowledge. Below are a few tips that are easy to follow, but can make a great impact on your life and health.
- Increase your whole grains intake by choosing whole grain breads, cereals, rice and pasta.
- Eat lots of veggies especially those veggies that are dark green, red and orange. Beans and peas are important too!
- Incorporate more fruits into your diet. Fruits make for a great morning or afternoon snack and are much healthier than chips or a candy bar.
- Try to have low-fat dairy products including low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Eat less added sugars, solid fats (including trans fats), refined grains and sodium.
- Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise three times a week. Your body will feel more energized and ready to take on the world!