Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Expand Your Knowledge of Poison Control Services during Poison Prevention Week

Knowing how to prevent unintentional poisonings is important. And so is knowing the number to poison control (1-800-222-1222- save it in your phone!) in the event that you or someone you know has ingested a potentially poisonous substance. That’s why the third week of March is dedicated to educating the public about poison control and its services.

During Poison Prevention Week (March 15th-21st), educators throughout the country will be sharing poison prevention information as well as sharing all the services they provide through the poison control 24/7 toll-free number. Poisons are more common than people think and can happen to anyone. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, more than two million poisonings are reported each year and roughly 90 percent of these are happening in the home.

So what is considered a poison?
A poison is any substance, including medications, which can be harmful to your body if too much is ingested or absorbed through the body. An accidental poisoning occurs when someone takes too much of a substance without meaning to cause harm.

Accidental poisonings can be scary which is why poison control is here to help in your time of need. Below are some useful tips to avoid unintentional poisonings:

·         Keep all poisons locked up and out of reach of children (this includes cleaning products, medications, vitamins, etc.)

·         Never tell a child that vitamins are candy. This could lead them to eat more vitamins than they should which can be dangerous.

·         Keep a carbon monoxide detector working in your house all year round by changing the batteries twice a year. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer and very dangerous.

·         Calling 1-800-222-1222 from anywhere in the United States will connect you with your local poison center.

For more information on poison control and poison prevention, please visit