Tuesday, October 23, 2012

National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week 2012

October 21st through the 27th marks National Lead Poisoning Prevention Month. Young children frequently put toys or other objects that are close to grab in their mouths during childhood and early development. Unfortunately, putting hands in the mouth can put children in contact with lead paint or dust.

There are many sources of lead, but the most common lead exposure occurs from chips and particles of old lead paint. While children can be exposed to lead through paint chips and dust, they can also be exposed to lead that might be in house dust or soil around the home.
Lead is an invisible source (to the naked eye) which means that it is exposed to as many as 30% of children without their knowledge. Some of these items containing lead include:

·         Imported candies
·         Imported toys or jewelry
·         Imported cosmetics
·         Pottery or ceramics
·         Drinking water that is contaminated with lead
Children are not the only individuals we need to worry about when it comes to lead poisoning. There are many work and extra-curricular activities that can expose individuals to lead. Some activities that could cause exposure to lead include remodeling projects on the home, home repairs, indoor firing range use and pottery making, to name a few.
How to Protect Children from Lead Exposure
Lead poisoning is easily preventable with these simple tools. The goal is treat children immediately who have been poisoned with lead and also stopping children from coming into lead exposure in the first place. Possible lead hazards need to be identified and removed from the home and away from a child’s environment.
If you have any reason to suspect your child or you have come in contact with lead poisoning, please contact your health care provider. Your provider can then decide if a blood test is necessary to test for elevated lead levels in the blood. A blood test is the only way to tell if you or your child is suffering from lead poisoning. Never hesitate to call the Poison Control Center hotline for more information at 1-800-222-1222.
What Parents Need to Know:  http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/ACCLPP/blood_lead_levels.htm

How to Prevent Lead Poisoning in your Home: http://youtu.be/Tc5PiTz73d8


  1. Everyone must be informed about the risks of buying products that may contain lead. Children don’t know what is harmful for them, and they do have the tendency to put objects in their mouths. Therefore, it is up to us parents and guardians to protect them against lead poisoning by not buying products that contain lead. The first step to accomplishing that is by always keeping in the know and listing down those things.

    Leora Yang

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.