Tips for a Successful Safe and Healthy 2014:
· Always Know Your Location. The easiest way to do this is to be aware of your surroundings. Look for street names, landmarks and anything else that might help a 9-1-1 operator find where you are during an emergency.
· Teach Kids to Dial 9 out first before dialing 9-1-1 when at a hotel or business location. Most children (and adults!) do not know they need to dial 9 before they can dial an outside number so make sure you explain this to your kids in case an emergency happens away from the home.
· Be prepared for any emergency. Do you have an emergency plan in place for your family? If you don’t, now is the time to make a plan. Visit www.ready.gov for all the ins and outs on disaster preparedness!
· Be aware of unsafe products and recalls. Keep your family safe from potentially dangerous products. You can find out about unsafe products here: http://www.cpsc.gov/
· Get Involved in Health and Wellness! It is important to keep your family healthy and a great website for ideas on staying fit is right here: http://health.discovery.com/
· Know the number to Poison Control Services! Not sure if you can mix certain medications? Having an allergic reaction to something and not sure if you should go to the emergency room? Get bit by a spider and not sure if it is poisonous? All of these questions can get answered and more- fee of charge! So memorize this number: 1-800-222-1222. Visit their website here: http://www.poisoncontrol.org/
These are just a few tips to make your new year the best it can be! And as always, remember- if you are ever in an emergency situation and need help, please do not hesitate to dial 9-1-1!