Andrea Wilson is our April Public Educator of the Month! She currently works for Montgomery County Emergency Communication District which is near Houston, Texas. We decided to recognize Andrea due to her extensive efforts to utilize simulators in teaching public education. (Simulators that she was able to rent out at no cost to her agency might I add!) Congratulations Andrea on a job well done!
Here is a little bit more about Andrea in her words:
- How long have you been working with 9-1-1? 18 months. Prior to working with 9-1-1, I was in education for 17 years as a teacher and administration.
- What is your favorite part of being a 9-1-1 public educator? Working in the community talking about 9-1-1 and working with groups through The National Emergency Number Association.
- What do you think is the biggest challenge the 9-1-1 community faces currently? Citizens misunderstanding when they place a wireless emergency call, even though they have GPS capability, they expect we know where they are located.
- What is your favorite 9-1-1 slogan? Lock it when it's in your pocket! The amount of calls received on a daily basis due to accidentally dialing 9-1-1 can be decreased when citizens lock their screens.
- What is your dream vacation? I love to travel so it's hard for me to pick one. An African Safari, India since it's such a culturally diverse country and Thailand are a few.