Here are some quick tips on keeping you and your family safe as you travel.
Traveling Away From the Home
- Make sure all your doors and windows are locked in the home before leaving.
- If you have an alarm, make sure to turn it on while you are out of town.
- Have a neighbor or family member watch your house, pick up your mail and even park in your driveway periodically, if possible.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house sounds occupied.
- Make sure expensive items or gifts in your home are not visible through windows or doors.
- If you have a Christmas tree, make sure it is placed in water or wet sand to keep it fresh.
On the Road
- Keep all doors locked and windows closed when you are away from your vehicle. This will help prevent thieves from easy access to your valuables.
- Never leave your car unoccupied while it is running. (And as a reminder, don’t leave children unattended in the car either for their safety too)
- When leaving your vehicle, make sure all valuables are out of sight. If you have to leave something in your car, put it in the trunk.
- Always remember to wear your seatbelt and practice cautious driving, especially if road conditions are bad.
- Never drink and drive.
- If you are involved in an accident, please do not hesitate to contact 9-1-1 for help.
Whatever your plans may be for the holidays, we hope everyone enjoys time with loved ones. Remember: practice safety first and we will see you all again next year in 2015!