Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Cell Phone Sally 9-1-1 Spotlight: Telecommunicator Andrea Davis


1. Tell me your history with 911: How long have you been a 9-1-1 telecommunicator and in what area do you serve?
 
I have been a dispatcher for seven years all together now.  I served in Colorado City and now I have been in Sweetwater, Texas for five years.


2.  I’m sure you hear a lot of interesting stories when answering calls, but what is one story that sticks out in your head that might have been scary, but turned out funny and/or everything worked out after the call.
 
The scariest call I've ever had, was when I got a call from a female who's boyfriend was holding a knife to her throat.  My guys got there, and he ended up going to jail.


3. What do you think people need to know about the people who answer the phones for 9-1-1?
 
We feel, pain, compassion, love, and, yes, even anger sometimes. We feel all of these things, but we still come to work everyday, and put those emotions aside, and are as professional  as we can be!


4. What do you enjoy most about your job and why?
 
I enjoy the day to day, because you never know what will happen next. And sometimes, I get to save a few lives.


5. Why do you think it is important for people to have 9-1-1 as a resource for emergency help?
 
So that people can  reach out to emergency services, for help, weather it be minor or major.


6.  If you could share one piece of advice with the world regarding 9-1-1, what would it be and why?
 
When calling, try to remain calm, and always know your location.  And please remember, that the dispatcher on the other end is only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment